Welcome to Bahbooland!




I decided to start this blog as a link to the blog I keep on my son. It is meant to provide a more practical approach to the wonderful world of mommies.

Here you will find and read posts on product reviews, good articles that I've read on surviving motherhood and my own general witty commentary of my own insights.

PLEASE, leave comments, join the Ma-Ma Sisterhood and start discussions of your own. If you are curious on the blossoming of my own little cutie- you can visit http://theboltfamily07.blogspot.com/
Other than that...welcome to Bahbooland!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Locked Up!

So we've reached the era of "cabinet locks". I personally put this off for as long as possible because they are a pain to install- however, after my lovely 15month old son pulled out a glass mixing bowl and threw it down, only to shatter it, on the kitchen floor- I've realized my dishes are no longer safe from him.
I am beginning the process of installing the KidSafe Swivel Cabinet & Drawer Lock. They are the ones my parents used when we were children but upon further studying I think I would have preferred the KidSafe Cabinet Locks: Magnetic Tot Lok Deluxe Starter Set. Can anyone convince me otherwise? I suppose the proposition of losing the only magnet key could be problematic but is it less of a pain to use the key then to have to pry down the latch each time I try to get into the cabinet? Feedback is appreciate!

15months already and I can't believe how fast time has flown. It's such a fascinating age watching him learn new things and gain new experiences. I am a working mother and so I don't get to see him as often as I would like and when I am able to be with him I'm usually exhausted from everything else I do. Is anyone else in a similar situation and can you give me some suggestions on how I might cope with this? I don't work because I want to, I work because I have to. I happen to really enjoy where I work which makes the separation easier but I feel guilty, like I should be miserable that I have to work and can't stay home and take care of my son. Believe me, if I could- I'd give it all up and spend all day long with him- but since I have to work- shouldn't I consider myself lucky and appreciate the fact that I'm one of the rare people that actually likes what she does and stop beating myself up?

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the magnetic locks, we have used the minimal amount of locking devices in the house and just moved stuff to higher cabinets that are dangerous or breakable.

    It is very hard to be away from your babies, I don't even know how to tell you to start coping with the separation. I would just say to set aside Mommy and baby time each day, even just holding him when you are too tired to play. I am with my kids all day long and don't feel like I "spend enough time with them". So your position is much more difficult.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never feel guilty for having to work. It's hard being away from the little ones, but sometimes it is necessary. Just make sure you are spending quality time with him when you are home....sometimes this means taking a nap together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the baby to be old enough to sleep in a bed that way, I can lay down with him at night when I put him to bed and cuddle till he falls asleep. We can read a bedtime story and relax. Right now it's sad because he get's tired an hour and a half after I get home and it's a bottle and bed (in the crib) so I drop him off and say good night and rub his back for a minute and then it's done. :( I can't wait till he's in a bed! ***YES, I REALIZE THAT ONCE HE'S OUT OF HIS CAGE AND LOOSE THERE IS NO RE-CAGING THE BEAST AND I WILL FIND HIM STALKING ME ON SATURDAY MORNINGS TO INVADE MY BED, BUT I DON'T CARE AT THIS POINT AND AM ACTUALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.***

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand about how hard it is to not see your child as often as you'd like. But think of it this way... all of your hard work is going towards giving him the best life he can possibly have. Think of how many people today are stressed about providing for their families and are jobless. And as he gets older he will start staying up later and later. One day these days those few hours may just be enough to wear you out 8-) You have many fun days ahead of you... just cherish those hours and spend special mommy/baby moments on those off days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should keep working and when you’re not working, spend as much quality time with your son as possible (and it sounds like this is what you do). Both of my parents had to work while I was growing up, but we always spent time together in one form or another (playing games, watching movies, cooking, taking trips, etc.). You should not feel guilty about working. This allows you time to focus on something you enjoy and it makes you a better and happier person. When your son gets older, he will learn to appreciate all that you do. I appreciate my parents tremendously and watching how hard they work keeps me motivated and focused. This has been a good life lesson for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when my parents did the locks on the cabinets for my sister. The latches ruin the cabinets if you ask me. I love the magnetic version. You should hang the key in a specific spot so that you never lose it. Plus having to latch and unlatch just to get into your cabinets is crazy! But so is life with a 15 month old.

    ReplyDelete